Yemen's Houthi movement said Thursday it launched two drone attacks against Saudi Arabia's southern Najran region, claiming strikes on Najran Airport and a nearby Aramco facility. Houthi military spokesman Brig. Gen. Yahya Saree said on Telegram that fighters "successfully carried out two military operations using drones," describing the airport target as a "sensitive Saudi enemy site."
The claim marks the first time in the current escalation cycle that the Houthis have specifically named Najran's civilian airport as a target — distinct from the Abha airport strike that broke the four-year truce in July, and from last month's Aramco refinery strike in Jazan. Najran's terminal is officially a small domestic facility, though it sees heavy use by Saudi military personnel given its proximity to the border — an ambiguity the "sensitive site" language appears designed to exploit.
Latest situation
The Saudi-led coalition, via state agency SPA, confirmed intercepting two Houthi-launched drones Thursday — but said they were headed toward Khamis Mushait, roughly 130 kilometers west of Najran, not the targets Saree claimed. The coalition accused Houthi forces of "targeting civilian facilities and residential areas." No independent damage assessment has been released for either the Najran airport or the Aramco site, and it remains unclear whether the intercepted drones are the same ones Saree referenced.
The strikes land amid a sharply rising tempo. Saree's claims bring the group's tally to 31 operations against Saudi targets in the past month, per Houthi accounts, part of the "blockade for blockade" campaign the group declared in its naval blockade announcement on July 20. On the same day, Yemen's government said it had conducted 81 military operations against Houthi positions in the preceding 24 hours.
Observers are reading: Why the Houthis' expanding target list may matter more than whether Thursday's strikes actually landed.
Become an Observer — it's free. Get full access to all Crisis.Zone analysis, briefings and breaking coverage.
A border zone under sustained pressure
Thursday's dual claim came a day after a Houthi-claimed strike on the Aramco refinery in Jazan, and amid parallel signals of a widening conflict: two IRGC members were reportedly among foreign fighters killed fighting Yemeni government forces, Bahrain formally asked the UN Security Council to act against Houthi strikes on civilian targets, and President Trump threatened "crushing economic" measures against states supporting Iran. What is confirmed is limited — claims from both sides, no independent damage assessment. What is not in dispute is that Najran's border zone is now absorbing strikes at a pace that shows no sign of slowing.
Become an Observer — it's free — to unlock direct links to all sources used in this article.
We believe you deserve to verify everything we write. That's why we meticulously document every source.
