Local mining association official cites triple-digit toll as rescuers dig through Zamboye site near Cameroon border
At least 30 bodies were recovered from a collapsed artisanal gold mine in western Central African Republic, deputy mayor Souleymane Bi confirmed Tuesday evening. A local mining association official told Reuters on Wednesday that more than 100 people had been killed, more than tripling the confirmed toll of at least 30 bodies recovered the previous day.
The collapse struck the Zamboye mining site in the Abba area of Nana-Mambéré prefecture on Tuesday morning, a few kilometres from Garoua-Boulaï in eastern Cameroon. The Baboua public prosecutor attributed the disaster to "the collapse of several underground tunnels in which miners were operating." A judicial inquiry has been opened.
Rescuers dig as toll disputed
Survivor Florian Gaguende corroborated the 30-body count Tuesday evening, describing hours of extraction from the debris. Miner Cedric Mbango called the scene "catastrophic," telling AFP: "The ground completely collapsed and buried people. As I speak to you, other people are still buried."
By Wednesday, AFP and Al Jazeera separately cited local sources placing the toll above 100. Baboua official Laurent Ngon Baba told AFP: "At this stage it's difficult for us to establish a formal toll." No CAR authority has confirmed the higher figure. Gaguende said the odds of finding more survivors "is getting slimmer." Government spokesman Evariste Ngamana said authorities are "working hard to provide relief and assistance." Bi appealed for outside help "from organizations and all people of good will." Cameroon Tribune reported at least four victims were Cameroonian nationals; survivors were taken to hospital in Baboua.
Observers are reading: Why verification at Zamboye could take weeks longer than the disaster's true scale warrants.
Become an Observer — it's free. Get full access to all Crisis.Zone analysis, briefings and breaking coverage.
Rescue operations continue amid uncertainty
Search efforts at Zamboye remained active as of Wednesday afternoon, with rescuers working by hand at a site with no heavy equipment. The confirmed toll stands at 30; the reported toll exceeds 100. Central African Republic authorities have issued no formal casualty figure. This marks one of the deadliest incidents in a series of artisanal mining disasters to strike the country in 2026, following earlier collapses in February, March and June.
Become an Observer — it's free — to unlock direct links to all sources used in this article.
We believe you deserve to verify everything we write. That's why we meticulously document every source.
